Friday, February 29, 2008

Poor Las Vegas

Las Vegas, and Nevada in general, has been having a rough time of it lately. In Reno Brianna Dennison disappeared. In Las Vegas today there was a poisonous gas scare. Ricin. People, get it together! How difficult is it to realize that loosening the laws on the Strip and on Fremont Street is not a good idea? Honestly, I know that Las Vegas and Reno both need to cultivate their gambling industries. It is, after all, a one industry state. I know what that's like--I came from one. Not pretty when said industry flops. However, when enforcement is so lax, trouble ensues. It is that simple. If you want to be that lax, you need more surveillance to catch when things start to go awry.

The story goes that back in the day when the Mormons and the Mob (especially the Mob) ruled that town, there were fewer shenanigans. You don't want to mess with them, right? I know I wouldn't. And if you did mess with them; if there was a troublemaker, said troublemaker ceased to be. This is perhaps a bit of a dramatization, but the logic holds.

Maybe I am just a little picky because my parents live there.

No comments: