So, how about the Millennium Development Goals? I just wrote an article about how young people are using social networking sites like Facebook and Myspace to inform and mobilize themselves to try to enact change. I actually ran across a surpising number of interesting things, like this site: http://american.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5268783036. I'm not sure if you'll be able to follow that link, but it's a Facebook group that is recruiting participants for a supply sharing bike ride through Africa. Another was a group called CEW (Children's Equality Worldwide), started by this 16-year-old girl who thought that her student group could hold fundraisers every month for a different development goal. Ultimately, she also wants to raise money to send computers to schools in developing countries. She's a sweet kid. October is about fighting poverty, by the way. Let's eliminate extreme poverty!
Anyway, my opinion of Facebook and Myspace has certainly been bumped up a little, but I still rue that I had to get a myspace account for this project.
No comments:
Post a Comment