Sunday, July 13, 2008

Engrish

These past few days have been busy! I've gone to Asakusa, Shibuya, Shinjuku (including kabuki cho), Nakano and to Harajuku. I am also running out of fundage now, so I think my touristing streak may be at an end. I still want to go to Inokashira Kouen, Shimokitazawa, the Mingeikan, and some museums about Japanese writers that I like.

I got an interesting talk from Arisa this morning about the size of my breasts. I wore a dress this morning, and when I walked into the room, her eyes went wide and she asked if she could help me. I was thoroughly confused. She wanted to tie the halter top part of it tighter, because my boobs are "so big" and I will get molested or stared at on the trains if I don't try to make them look smaller. I had never thought about the size of my breasts, really, so this was a very embarrassing conversation. She seriously took five or ten minutes tying, staring at my chest, retying, and then assessing again. But it's good know that she is looking out for me, even if my neck really hurts now.

In my touristing, I have thus far been disappointed with Engrish. It's a lot less prominent in Tokyo than in Aichi, which is too bad because it is one of Japan's best features!! Today, though, I went to Harajuku with Shin. Harajuku a haven for all those goth-y Japanese kids. Except, goth is slightly different in Japan and markedly less full of angst. It is, however, full of Engrish!! I savored every last bit of Engrish there. I'm going to need to go back to see those crazy kids at yoyogi koen, to eat Japanese crepes (don't cringe, Molly!) and to check out all the really goth-y places Shin wasn't into. Oh, plans. That's all for tonight.

No comments: