Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just a rant...

You know, I try not to make decisions too set in stone. I want to really think about them, even if I've made them fairly firmly to begin with. However, more and more I've become militant about never having kids. The discussion about kids started jokingly with my parents, but they have become more and more adamant that I should have kids. In particular, my mom can't wrap her head around the idea of not having grandkids and is really bugging me about them. She says someday I'll change my mind and that I'll regret it if I don't have kids. To be fair, she might be right about the first point. I may someday suddenly feel the biological drive to reproduce. But I may not. And if I don't, I probably won't regret not acting on a biological drive I didn't have.

I was searching desperately for some guidance last night, for something I could arm myself with during my mother's next barrage, and this is what I found. Add to that argument the complexities someone with epilepsy faces when they try to get pregnant: would I want to take enough meds so that I don't have seizures, at the risk of child defects; or, would I want to not take meds so that the meds don't affect the child, and risk self and fetal-injury through good ol' fashioned oxygen deprivation or falls resulting from the seizures I would undoubtedly have? I think I now have a solid defense. :-)

If I do decide someday that I need kids, I'll adopt. And until then, I want to be left to make my own decision.

No comments: