I'm fickle, and flaky, but I think I may have finally come up with a reasonable, flexible life plan. I'm fleeing the country for two years and getting an MA in TESOL, which will give me the credentials to be a Regional English Language Officer with the Foreign Service or to teach at community college (guess which one I would prefer--I'll give you a hint: it's the one that requires me to have previous international experience and to speak a second language). My plan is to keep working on my Japanese, though I'm pretty sure that's high enough to get a government rating of 3 or more. After that, I either want to gain working proficiency in Chinese (Super Critical Language status) or Bengali (Critical Language status). I'm leaning towards attempting Bengali for sentimental reasons (yes, Ishani, Aparna, et al, I admit it...you're my inspiration), but there are so few resources here for learning it. そりゃ困るな。Chinese, on the other hand, has a linguist pattern that is very similar to English and I already know many characters. The tones present a challenge, but I did lots of music in high school, which could prove helpful. Anyhow, that's the plan, amorphous as it may be, at the moment.
Let's play a game. I'm going to say my name is Sarah (or some variation on that theme) in as many languages as I can. Without cheating.
Me llamo Sarah.
Je m'appelle Sarah.
Ich bin Sarah.
Amar nam Sarah. (Sorry, my computer just doesn't have the script)
私の名前はサラです。
我叫Sarah.
Tên tôi là Sarah.
Sarah wa-da-doh. (Same deal as the last one)
No comments:
Post a Comment